From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Package com.sun.image.* not Found when building Flex Source RC3
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:41:35 GMT

On Jul 14, 2012, at 8:29 AM, Jeffry Houser wrote:

> On 7/14/2012 11:28 AM, Clint Modien wrote:
>> need to build with jdk ver 1.6
>
> I'll try that; but if that is the case I misunderstood the release notes:
>
>    Java SDK 1.5 (0_13 or greater)
>    or Java SDK 1.6 (*1)
>
> I assumed that 1.7 was greater than 1.5 and therefore it should work.  Was that an incorrect
assumption?

Oracle removed the support for those classes in 1.7.

>    [javac] C:\Projects\ApacheFlex\Development\ApacheFlex_RC3\apache-flex-sdk-4.
> 8.0-incubating-src\modules\thirdparty\batik\sources\org\apache\flex\forks\batik\
> svggen\ImageHandlerJPEGEncoder.java:29: error: package com.sun.image.codec.jpeg
> does not exist
>    [javac] import com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGImageEncoder;
>    [javac]                                ^

The Batik project is working on removing use of com.sun packages.

See: http://batik.2283329.n4.nabble.com/Batik-and-Java-7-non-compliancy-td4221375.html

Anyway this is an example about why it is best to try to contribute upstream and use the unaltered
project code if possible.

The replacement ImageIO classes are fine except for CMYK-JPEG problems. This is something
to address, but it should not be a blocker.

The project should note somewhere on the DL page that there are build issues with Java 7 and
what those are, but it is not a release blocker - IMO.

Regards,
Dave