From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion : Adopt a package manager like Ruby Gems for Flex as a first class citizen of the SDK
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:57:49 GMT
On 7/10/2012 4:44 AM, Gary McGhee wrote:
> Any Ruby developer will tell you the importance of Ruby Gems in the growth and health
of the Ruby ecosystem, as will node.js users with npm, and Linux users with apt-get etc.

  Excuse my ignorance on Ruby, Node.js, and Linux.  Why are those things
important?

> Flex has Sprouts (http://projectsprouts.org/), which I haven't used, but it has a nice
website, has been updated recently, and is based on Ruby Gems that I am very familiar with.
> However it doesn't have the game-changing power of eg. gems unless it is adopted as a
core default.

> Now that Flex has been handed to the community, would it be possible to consider properly
adopting Sprouts as a core part of the SDK?

    If you haven't used something, a claim that it should be merged into
the core SDK seems a bit incomplete.  What would the benefit be?  Is
Sprout distributed under a compatible license?  Is the creator willing
to change the license, if necessary, or donate the code?  How do you
expect that Sprouts will be combined into the SDK?  What will change for
SDK developers?  What will change for Flex Developers?  How would
Sprouts be used?

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur