From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: What namespace should new components go in?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:56:47 GMT
Yes, but updating MXML files for new namespace URIs would involve only a trivial search and
replace.

However, maybe it makes more sense to do this as part of the eventual switch to the Falcon
compiler.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: JP Bader [mailto:jp@zavteq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:10 AM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What namespace should new components go in?

+1 to change the URI to apache, however that might (most likely will)
cause backwards compatibility issues for any mxml refs.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Gordon Smith <gosmith@adobe.com> wrote:
> Regarding the existing namespaces -- and I'm referring to the namespace URIs, not the
namespace prefixes -- isn't it time to get "adobe" out of  them and "apache" into them, now
that the parity release is complete?

> For example,
>
> http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009 -> http://ns.apache.com/mxml/2012
> library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark ->
> library://ns.apache.com/flex/spark
> library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx -> library://ns.apache.com/flex/mx
>
> - Gordon

is about namespaces. This has been discussed on the list before but no clear consensus was
reached.

> In the patches branch I've created a new apache target in the build script to compile
an an apache.swc to place new components in. It uses a new namespace - http://flex.apache.org/ns.
This has been in the patches branch for several months. The PostCode validator and format
classes currently use this namespace and I would like to move them into trunk, followed closely
by Mike's collection classes.

> What are people preferred option with new components and namespaces?
>
> 1. Use existing mx and spark namespaces
> Advantages: No new namespaces required.
> Disadvantages: New components mixed in with old and compiled into existing swcs making
them larger etc, hard know what's new over 4.6 SDK. Not always obvious which namespace mx
or spark a new component should go into.

> 2. Place components under a single new namespace called http://flex.apache.org/ns.
> Advantages: All new components have a new ant target, new swc and namespace so easy to
see what is new in the SDK and if a project is using Apache Flex. Work already done in patches
branch. Namespace is valid URL and was suggested by a mentor.

--
JP Bader
Principal