From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Fixing bugs and submitting patches (was: pedal down?)
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:14:35 GMT

On 6/22/12 8:32 AM, "Clint Modien" <cmodien@gmail.com> wrote:

> GreatŠ thanks Alex. :)
>
> So what's considered a "good" patch?
>
> - Fixes the bug?
> - Doesn't break the Mustella tests?
> - Doesn't break the build?
>
> Anything else?
I believe this was discussed in the early days related to coding standards.
There is such a long list of things to consider that I think it isn't worth
considering. Fix the bug and submit the patch and depending on who reviews
the patch, you may get asked to make various improvements, but if I'm
reviewing and I get the sense you are going to be active in the project, I'm
more likely to let some things go and let you fix them when you become a
committer.

The number 3 reason I reject patches (the number 1 reason is that it doesn't
actually fix the test case, number 2 is it breaks something) is that the fix
only fixes the test case and not the general or underlying problem.

So, if you have a general enough fix and there are no obvious side-effects,
that's usually good enough for me.   If you got most of the coding
conventions right and added comments if needed I'll probably accept it.
Bonus points if you provide an additional mustella or flexunit test for it.

> AlsoŠ as far as assigning JIRA tickets to myselfŠ should I just leave a
> comment on a ticket saying I'm working on it?
That makes sense to me.

> Should I check the Adobe ticket for patch files first?
Probably, but there are very few outstanding patches waiting for review.

> These are the types of questions I was hoping to get into the Developer FAQ.
>
> To update the Developer FAQ should I create a JIRA ticket and submit a patch
> for the wiki?
Sure.  I haven't been taking the time to deal with web-site and wiki too
much so hopefully some other volunteer will do it.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team