From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Asset / i18n resource management improvements
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:30:27 GMT

On 6/12/12 11:47 AM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dirk,
>
> I think this is a fantastic idea.  I would love to help out.  Every time I
> work with resource bundles, I keep having similar thoughts.  I never took a
> chance to write it out so clearly like you have done.
>
> What I dont get is why we would need a FB/Eclipse plugin if we manage to
> make these changes to the compiler.  As you example points out, a valid
> class would be created in the src path.  This would take care of the
> auto-complete requirements, right?  All IDEs should be able to work with
> it.
IMO, something like an "R" class should not be put into the compiler or the
IDE.  The compiler should be as framework agnostic as possible.  It is
probably possible to create a set of classes that do what R does.

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Dirk Eismann <bortsen@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm currently experimenting on how to improve resource management in
>> future Apache Flex versions.>>
>>
>> So... what do you think? I would also like to know what other people
>> have in mind concerning asset / resource bundle management, maybe we
>> can team up?

How many of you use non-String resources?  A String-only resource system can
be so much better optimized than what we have now.  I would love to phase
out the current ResourceManager subsystem and replace it with something much
smaller and faster.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team