From Carol Frampton <cfram...@adobe.com>
Subject [MENTOR] forked Apache projects - Batik and Velocity
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:28:22 GMT
As you know I just forked Batik 1.6 and Velocity 1.4 to incorporate our changes.

Both of these projects seem to violate current Apache rules.  While we are using older versions,
the current releases of each (both 1.7) seem to have some of the same issues.

I've removed all the jars from the source.  I just updated the older Apache copyright headers
to Apache v2 copyright headers.

That leaves me with a bunch of files which are still being flagged by RAT.

In the batik project there are a bunch of .java, .mod (SVG Text Module) and .dtd files which
have the following copyrights:
Copyright 2001, 2002 World Wide Web Consortium or
Copyright 2001, 2002 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio), All Rights Reserved.

In the batik NOTICE file I see this:

This software contains code from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for the
Document Object Model API (DOM API) and SVG Document Type Definition (DTD).

Should I remove all the copyrights in the files and replace them with Apache v2 licenses?
 Do I pull the contents of the batik and velocity NOTICE files up to the Flex top-level NOTICE
file or is it enough to put the NOTICE file for each jar next to it with the appropriate name
for the jar?

There are also README and some other text files and Java manifest files without copyrights.
 Are those exceptions?  If so, I wonder why RAT doesn't know the .mf file type.  I know that
there is suppose to be a LICENSE and a NOTICE file in the META-INF directory of each jar.

Carol