From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Third Party source
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:56:11 GMT

On 6/7/12 3:33 PM, "Greg Stein" <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Greg Reddin <gredbug@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Jeff doesn't have to do it himself: that's just deference to his
>>> wishes and ensuring that we don't pre-suppose or get them wrong.
>>
>> Ah, so there's no legal requirement to deal with here. Adobe cleared
>> that up with the software grant?
>
> From the description you provided, it sounded like Jeff was employed
> by Adobe when he wrote the code. Thus, Adobe actually owns the
> copyrights via work-for-hire rules. And thus, Adobe has the right to
> grant his work to the ASF under the already-filed Software Grant.
>
> So based on my understanding from your description: yeah. We don't
> need anything from Jeff.
>
> To be polite, we ask his wishes (and he's already said "whatever", it
> seems), but we don't *have* to ask.

Jeff ran a company and wrote the code while at that company then was
acquired by Macromedia (and then by Adobe).  The copyrights are for that
company, and the agreement when acquiring Jeff and his company was such that
Adobe retained his company's copyright in the headers of those files.

Otherwise, the headers would have copyright to Adobe and would have just
changed them.

Thanks,

--
Alex Harui