From Alex Harui <>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Third Party source
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:15:14 GMT

On 6/7/12 3:00 PM, "Greg Stein" <> wrote:

>> "Should a project move non-ASF copyright notices from Apache source files to
>> the NOTICE file?
>> No. If the copyright owner is still involved with the project, they should
>> move the notice themselves or permit us to do so..."
> That policy exists for us to be nice to the original copyright holder,
> and to ensure that we don't accidentally remove a statement.
> Since we have the grant from Adobe, just move the copyright notice
> yourself. I suspect we'd even have the right to remove it entirely,
> but again: to be nice, we'll retain it in the NOTICE file.
> Jeff doesn't have to do it himself: that's just deference to his
> wishes and ensuring that we don't pre-suppose or get them wrong.
No offense, but are you absolutely sure?

Unless I misunderstood the Adobe legal team, we could not remove the
copyrights without Jeff's permission, otherwise we would have done so prior
to donation.

Furthermore, in [1] it also says the following:

"Treatment of Third-Party Works

The term "third-party work" refers to a work not submitted directly to the
ASF by the copyright owner or owner's agent.
Do not modify or remove any copyright notices or licenses within third-party
Do ensure that every third-party work includes its associated license, even
if that requires adding a copy of the license from the third-party download
site into the distribution.
Do not add the standard Apache License header to the top of third-party
source files.
Minor modifications/additions to third-party source files should typically
be licensed under the same terms as the rest of the rest of the third-party
source for convenience.
Major modifications/additions to third-party should be dealt with on a
case-by-case basis by the PMC."

The Adobe legal team and Roy both agreed that we need permission or give him
committer status.

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.