From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MENTOR] forked Apache projects - Batik and Velocity
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 16:14:14 GMT
I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to punt on this one. I don't
want to call out another apache project on general@, so I think we
need to wait and see if Bertrand has any input on it. I know he's out
of pocket right now so we might just have to wait till he gets back.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Carol Frampton <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:
> As you know I just forked Batik 1.6 and Velocity 1.4 to incorporate our changes.
>
> Both of these projects seem to violate current Apache rules.  While we are using older
versions, the current releases of each (both 1.7) seem to have some of the same issues.

> I've removed all the jars from the source.  I just updated the older Apache copyright
headers to Apache v2 copyright headers.

> That leaves me with a bunch of files which are still being flagged by RAT.
>
> In the batik project there are a bunch of .java, .mod (SVG Text Module) and .dtd files
which have the following copyrights:
> Copyright 2001, 2002 World Wide Web Consortium or
> Copyright 2001, 2002 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio), All Rights Reserved.
>
> In the batik NOTICE file I see this:
>
> This software contains code from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for the
> Document Object Model API (DOM API) and SVG Document Type Definition (DTD).
>
> Should I remove all the copyrights in the files and replace them with Apache v2 licenses?
 Do I pull the contents of the batik and velocity NOTICE files up to the Flex top-level NOTICE
file or is it enough to put the NOTICE file for each jar next to it with the appropriate name
for the jar?

> There are also README and some other text files and Java manifest files without copyrights.
 Are those exceptions?  If so, I wonder why RAT doesn't know the .mf file type.  I know
that there is suppose to be a LICENSE and a NOTICE file in the META-INF directory of each
jar.