From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Review after first months of Apache Flex, new guidelines and keeping Flex alive
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:24:10 GMT
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 6/5/12 7:59 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>> Although the JIRA import problems need to be solved, I don't see what
>> prevents people from using the existing instance at
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX to go forward without
>> having to wait for that....

>> I assume issues created there can be linked to existing issues in the
>> Adobe Flex JIRA if that's still up, and if that's not the case we can
>> fairly easily host a static copy of that somewhere so that people can
>> find the required information....

> What does it take to host a static copy, and, if we can have a standalone
> copy, why does it have to be static?  I know it is a trade-off, but having
> our own JIRA instance still seems to have more pro's than con's...

A static copy of the current Adobe JIRA can be hosted alongside
http://incubator.apache.org/flex/ with minimal work.

Hosting a dedicated JIRA instance for Flex can be done on a server or
virtual machine that ASF infra would provide, but the Flex PPMC then
has full responsibility for maintaining it. How's that going to work
medium to long term? Who's going to be on call for maintenance issues?

I hear there might be progress on INFRA-4380 after the recent JIRA
upgrades, but if that doesn't happen I'm far from convinced that a
dedicated instance is the right thing to do - a static copy of the
Adobe JIRA would be much easier to manage IMO, and would naturally
lead to forgetting about irrelevant/old issues which might actually
help.

-Bertrand