From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Binary Files
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:24:35 GMT
Hi Alex,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...I am trying to understand how any Apache project that has a GUI can have
> visual assets in SVN and its source distribution.  Is it a requirement that
> you have to have dumb bitmaps in the GUI?  It would seem unfortunate if the
> designers of the visual assets of a GUI cannot use popular tools to retain
> higher-level constructs in support of the output bitmap.  And in the case of
> the Flash Runtime, which contains a vector graphics rendering engine, it
> would be extra unfortunate to be required to use dumb bitmaps for all
> visuals....

IMO, "releases are source code only" does not mean that a release
cannot contain any binary files - as you indicate, some type of files
are inherently binary.

What's wrong is releasing compiled binary code, as opposed to source code.

In the case of binary files like visual assets that are required for
an Apache project to work, I think we should stick to reasonably open
formats that don't require someone to buy a proprietary tool to modify
them.  If that's a problem for Flex, let's discuss the specific cases.

-Bertrand