From Rafael Santos <rsan...@spectacompany.com.br>
Subject Review after first months of Apache Flex, new guidelines and keeping Flex alive
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 00:35:35 GMT
Hey everyone,

Sorry for not being around and helping more the community in the last few
months.

My company (Specta) is still 100% engaged to Apache Flex and its community,
although we are still behind on latest Flex version on most of our Apps.

I would like to provoke a discussion that I know that might make some of
you angry.... "Will we be able to keep Flex alive from its migration period
from Adobe to Apache?"

I see that the community has been having some difficulties regarding:

   - getting sources from Adobe
      - some libraries that have not been committed yet
      - the new compiler that we could be helping
      - getting Adobe folks engaged enough to make this migration happen
   - getting a life and identity of our own
   - getting it all to work and get independent from Adobe (I see that the
      first builds are being generated)
   - future support from Adobe with Flash Player on other platforms
      - I went to a Firefox workshop this weekend and Firefox
      representatives told me that Adobe has abandoned Firefox for quite some
      time and they have been focusing only on Chrome (cause Google is
paying for
      it)
      - We are attached to an application that could die at anytime as have
      already happened Flash Catalyst, Flash Player Debugger for Linux and
      others. As we know Adobe has a serious lack of communication.

I am also worried about:

   - there is a really fast movement from people that loved Flex to
   technologies such as javascript + html5 + css3, including some core people
   from Apache Flex.
   - some flex projects are becoming ghosts (no commits for quite some time)
   - blogs about flex are dying or moving to other technologies

I would like to hear from the core team and everyone on the community... I
want know what are you thinking and hear some suggestions on how we can
make this happen and how to address this issues... how can we show everyone
that we are still alive and that it is worth working with Flex. I have some
ideas of my own but I would like to start the debate without compromising
the answers.

Just to finish.... I have nothing against Adobe, actually I used to love
everything about Adobe, but they have been making some very bad
decisions.... Maybe good for them but definitely not for some of us....

Regards,
Rafael Santos