From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Review after first months of Apache Flex, new guidelines and keeping Flex alive
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:55:21 GMT
Alex's comment about dedicated resources is an important one. Without a home to call our own,
our toes will likely be stepped on and we are likely to step on the toes of others ( not an
'if' but a 'when' ). Can we really afford that at this point?

What I'm trying to say is that project velocity, resources, and resource restrictions are
interdependent. If we hope to gain the momentum we so desperately want / need, dedicated resources
may just be the push we need to kick this thing into a higher gear.

Consider these two items...

 # dozens of companies around the globe are using customized Flex SDKs in production software
 # many of these companies compile the entire SDK from source

So... is it any wonder that people are looking at Apache Flex and saying, "what's the hold-up
guys?" To be fair, getting Flex to run under the Apache umbrella has grown arms and legs that
few could imagine.

I have a solution for the Jira dump... forget it... move on... I can almost guarantee that
more than 60% of it is out-dated, 20% is irrelevant, 10% is ancient history, 9.9% are actually
Flash bugs, .01% is applicable to Apache Flex .... and it will take FOREVER to troll through
all the mire to get to that .01%.

I have a solution for the build server... everyone drop everything you're doing, get a Mac
Mini, throw it in a colo, and concentrate on building the SDK just like Adobe did it. Getting
the first release out the door is of paramount importance... once we get to that point - we
have 'forever' to renovate.

Rick Winscot