From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Asset / i18n resource management improvements
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 00:58:15 GMT
Hi,

> Both implementations are inefficient given how often you tend to look up
> strings.  You are initializing all of these properties when it isn't even
> clear they will be used.  I still think you are better off just embedding a
> delimited text file and parsing it on the fly.  But it still needs proving.
The reason why this is not usually done is (in the case or error messages) at the point of
the error you need to know for sure what you want to display is available and you may have
to display it under limited time or memory constraints. Having everything preloaded even if
you don't use it means you don;t get an "Out of memory" error when trying to display an "Out
of memory" error message :-) . I'm not sure we need to worry about this in the Flex SDK however
and could load when required.

Performance may or may not be an issue when using resources for languages, but I assume we're
talking about only change how the SDK does it internally for it own error messages?

Thinking a little more about the patch file idea and I think a better idea would be to automatically
add a language only locale eg "en", "fr", "sp" etc to the end of the locale chain. Less stuffing
about with build files and would help anyone working with multiple variants of the same language
and it commonly used.

Thanks
Justin