From Alex Harui <>
Subject [MENTORS] Batik and Flex
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 22:03:55 GMT
Hi Mentors,

Here is my somewhat limited understanding of how Flex uses Batik.

Flex allows the use of a subset of CSS to specify various visual and non-visual aspects of
a component and I think we report errors on CSS syntax outside the subset that is supported.
Flex extended CSS to allow the specification of an ActionScript class as the value of a rule.
Flex extended CSS to allow for custom MediaQuery attributes

We’ve chosen the fork strategy for now.  I think the problem is further complicated in that
CSS is a W3C specification and, in theory, any extensions Flex made would require approval
by that standards body before we even think about changing the Batik project’s code.   FWIW,
Flex chose not to use vendor-specific syntax for usability reasons.  That is something we
could revisit, I suppose.

So, how would you “extend” Batik?  Only fork certain classes and get them in the class
path first?  I’m not that familiar with Java so maybe there is some capability I am not

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.