From Carol Frampton <cfram...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Binary Files
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 13:14:23 GMT

On 5/31/12 5 :04AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

>> ...Yet in the Batik and Velocity source distributions there is a folder
>>of JAR files and
>> I don¹t see any option to build those JARs from source.  Other notes
>>indicate that
>> downstream releases should build from sources of upstream releases.
>>Again
>> Batik and Velocity don¹t seem to be doing this....

Sorry to keep asking the same question but I don't think I've gotten an
answer yet.  We just forked velocity/batik from their source kits.  Their
source kits contains lots of dependent jars.  Can we leave the
velocity/batik structure as is in our source kit, including those jars, or
do we have to "fix" them by removing all their dependent jars and download
them as part of our build?  It seems sort of silly to have their source
but then have to download their source kit to extract those jars.

>>...C. Can our source release build script leverage JARs or must it build
>>everything from sources?...
>
>Most Apache projects written in Java use Maven builds, which by
>default get their dependencies from a central repository that we do
>not control. But users can relatively easily replace that with their
>own repository, and in theory they can build all dependencies
>themselves before adding them to their local repository.
>
>Having a similar setup for Flex would be ok IMO: download binaries
>from trusted sources by default, but allow people to supply their own
>binaries if they want.

If even the binary kit can't contain dependent jars that means that you
can't run Flex "out of the box".  With our current setup it means you'd
have to have ant installed and run a target to download the dependent
jars.  Do you know of another Apache project that has to do this so I can
take a look at it?

Carol