From Carol Frampton <>
Subject [MENTOR] source package questions
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 21:53:09 GMT

As we attempt to lock down and actually arrive at a realistic release candidate we keep bumping
into the "what is source" since we all know that the official Apache release for a product
consists of only source code.

The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All releases are in the form
of the source materials needed to make changes to the software being released. In some cases,
binary/bytecode packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might not have the
appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the source. In all such cases, the binary/bytecode
package must have the same version number as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode
files that are the result of compiling that version of the source code release.

1. Per Bertrand's suggestion, I just forked velocity and batik since we've made numerous changes
to them.  (As an aside I think the devs that long ago did the work did consider donating the
changes back to Apache but it was decided not to do that.)  I merged our changes into the
source distributions for velocity and batik and changed the packages to org.apache.flex.forks.velocity/batik.
 Each of these source distributions include numerous jars, discounting the ones in the test

~/dev/trunk/modules/thirdparty/velocity$ find . -name "*.jar" -print

~/dev/trunk/modules/thirdparty/batik$ find . -name "*.jar" -print

While I suspect they are all Apache jars I don't believe the source code for all the jars
is in the package.  I thought source packages were suppose to be just source although in
there is an incomplete statement about dependent jars in the "Distributing Libraries" section.

Does this mean that we can include the apache jars that we use in our source package?  How
about in our binary package?

2.  We've run RAT.  We currently have a few hundred files flagged as binaries.  Many of them
are asset files.  Is there some sort of exception process for these?

3.  If you have a .fla file which is a source file for Adobe Flash Professional does that
mean we have to require Adobe Flash Professional as a prerequisite build tool?  We have other
similar situations which involve different apps/tools to produce different assets.