From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [MENTOR] source package questions
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 23:37:15 GMT

On 5/30/12 3:32 PM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 3.  If you have a .fla file which is a source file for Adobe Flash
>> Professional does that mean we have to require Adobe Flash Professional as
>> a prerequisite build tool?  We have other similar situations which involve
>> different apps/tools to produce different assets.
>>
>> Is Flash Pro required to run a successful build? If so, then I guess we do
>> need it as a requirement. If not then it's optional I guess.
>>

> Not sure if it makes it any clearer, but I would put it this way:
>
> Flash Pro is to a .swf asset AS Photoshop/Gimp/MSPaint is to a .jpg file
>
> One does not require Photoshop/Gimp/MSPaint to render a .jpg file, but one
> definitely needs such a tool to modify it.
>
> I dont think we are planning to *build* any source code using Flash Pro.
That's not quite a fair analogy.  Flash Pro does not modify SWFs per se.  A
SWF is an executable or library output by Flash Pro from a source FLA file.

One of the interesting wrinkles here is that one of the jobs of the Flex
Compiler is to consume a SWF file from Flash Pro.  The question really is
about whether external content needs to be built or not.  Imagine some
Apache project wanted to create a PDF viewer.  Would it need to build its
PDFs from source DOCX files and have MS Word in the workflow?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team