From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject [MENTORS] Binary Files
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 22:01:23 GMT
Hi Mentors,

Carol and I are trying to make sense of the rules for binary files at Apache.  It is my current
understanding that there are slightly different rules for what can go in SVN vs in a release.

My current understanding is that we can keep binary files in SVN.  You can have a “deps”
folder with JARs and other libraries you are dependent on.  But can you:
    A. have test media that is compiled output of proprietary tools?  Flex allows use of PixelBender
bitmap filters which are compiled using the Adobe PixelBender toolkit
    B. have source files that are not plain text?  There are a few FLA files from Adobe Flash
that will be used for optional utility programs.

My current understanding is that a source release cannot contain binary files. Yet in the
Batik and Velocity source distributions there is a folder of JAR files and I don’t see any
option to build those JARs from source.  Other notes indicate that downstream releases should
build from sources of upstream releases.  Again Batik and Velocity don’t seem to be doing
this.
    C. Can our source release build script leverage JARs or must it build everything from
sources?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team