From "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: Preliminary release candidate of Apache Flex 4.8.0 (for developers only)
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 16:41:20 GMT
Hi,

I am currently working on a tool to automatically convert a flex sdk into a mavenized form
that I can use together with my flexmojos maven builds.

While I was working on this, I could never understand, why the playerglobal and airglobal
stuff is actually located inside the Flex SDK framework directory. As far as I understood
it, it actually has nothing to do with the actual Flex framework and is more part of the runtime.
I guess Adobe will still be using Flash Player and playerglobal as they are provided by Adobe
and Apache doesn't do any developing in this sector. Am I correct?

In my tool I decided to deploy the playerglobal and airglobal parallel to the runtimes, this
also avoided the version confusions in flexmojos:
Now you select which flex sdk you want and what player version.

Just to ad my 50ct to this discussion about the playerglobal location.

Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Carol Frampton [mailto:cframpto@adobe.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 15. Mai 2012 15:37
An: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Preliminary release candidate of Apache Flex 4.8.0 (for developers only)

Justin,

On 5/10/12 7 :13PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>I not sure that an environment variable is the best to indicate the
>path to playerglobal.swc but it shoudl be placed in prescribed place in
>the SDK folder. Why? Well if you have multiple versions of the Apache
>SDK configured in Flash Builder which use different versions of
>playerglobal.swc it going to make life a little difficult.

I've been doing some FlashBuilder integration work for the FlashBuilder team.  I finally get
what you are saying about the playerglobal version.
When you change the target version either thru the IDE or on the command line, the path to
playglobal.swc should automagically change.  In flex-config.xml, rather than the current entries
which are

    <external-library-path>
	<path-element>{playerglobalHome}/playerglobal.swc</path-element>
    </external-library-path>

    <path-element>{playerglobalHome}</path-element>

the proper entries should be

    <external-library-path>

<path-element>{playerglobalHome}/{targetPlayerMajorVersion}.{targetPlayerMi
norVersion}/playerglobal.swc</path-element>
    </external-library-path>

<path-element>{playerglobalHome}/{targetPlayerMajorVersion}.{targetPlayerMi
norVersion}</path-element>

The compiler replaces playerglobalHome with PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME environment variable (or with
the change I am sitting on the env.PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME property in env.properties) and it replaces
{targetPlayerMajorVersion} and {targetPlayerMinorVersion} with the targetVersion.

I think I originally removed the version stuff because it is more complicated to explain how
the directory structure pointed to by PLAYERGLOBAL_HOME is set up.  Minimally you need playerglobal-dir/x.x
where x.x is the value of playerglobal.version in build.properties.

What do you think?

Carol