From Michael Montoya <montoyl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex PDF support
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 03:03:43 GMT
PDF support is just one thing I would like to see... :)

Another feature I think would be quite useful is to support a reasonable number of configurable
3D primitives and be able to instantiate them via MXML utilizing a syntax such as:

<mx:Stage3D type="sphere" radius="12" horzDiv="16" vertDiv="16" etc ... />

This would automatically add these shapes to the Stage3D layer. Additionally, I could see
using the Embed[] metadata to import a 3D model in say, OBJ format.

I feel this would bring Flex more in sync with the recent features to version 11 of the Flash
player. Additionally, a decent offering of widgets would give Powerpoint a run for it's money
with respect to all the 3D presentation widgets it provides, conspicuously lacking in Flash
(available only through Away3D, Papervision, and some voodoo magic - i.e. not for the faint
of heart).

On May 8, 2012, at 10:31 PM, "Guthmann, Scott" <sguthmann@on3solutions.com> wrote:

> Welcome, Michael!
>
> The feature that you described sounds fantastic. I would love to see the code. We are
all volunteers and we each work on what we want to. Kudos to you for telling us what you would
like to see so nobody duplicates the effort. What help do you need from us?

> Sent from my MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 2 on AT&T

portfolio of Flex web apps, I got this sinking feeling as I fessed up to myself - despite
all the clamoring around me to the contrary - that no amount of HTML5 can ever hope to replace
the breadth, depth and richness currently possible with Flex.

> I don't want Flex to go the way of the Dodo. So I have resolved to help keep it relevant
and help innovate any way I can. As a total noob to open source collaboration, however, I'm
still trying to get my footing and figure out how best to contribute.

> One very general thought is that it would be wonderful if we could develop a native means
for viewing PDF documents in Flex. In my experience this has been the Achille's heel of our
Flex apps and has led to very kludgy work-arounds using server-side Image Magick to convert
the document to images (lately we've been exploring swftools). This is less than ideal for
all the obvious reasons... I'm surprised Adobe never addressed this, but it would be wonderful
if we could.

> My other question/concern is this - while Adobe has ceded Flex to the community, isn't
Flex virtually useless without the Flash Player to run the compiled bitecode?

> Am I the only troubled by the fact that Adobe has given us the keys to a Ferrari with
no engine. While I applaud their latest features as of Molehill - particularly access to the
GPU through AGAL, what's to stop them from pulling the plug on Flash Player development altogether
thereby rendering the fruits of our labor utterly useless?

> While I can certainly envision new and exciting capabilities for Apache Flex, doesn't
true innovation require coordination with the Flash VM and hence, player development - not
to mention Actionscript?

> What little time is left over between work and family is very precious to me and I hate
to think that my efforts may be in vain. The current dependency to Adobe makes me feel rather
exposed. Anyone feel the same or can someone allay my concerns?