From David Coleman <david_coleman_...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: ComboBox Selection (was: combo box)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:03:10 GMT

yes, I myself have done this quite often.  for instance you have a bunch of objects and you
set the selectedValue field to be "foo.id".. then you would expect (or at least  you would
desire) that setting the selected value to 123 would search for the item in the dataProvider
that has the "id" field == 123 and set it as selected item... or set selected item to -1 and
the selected item to the emptyItem (the proposal i made, which is valid in the case of working
with dto's in this way).  These behaviors are common in web forms and even in native applications...
 I think that it would be beneficial to have them as native behaviors (if they are delicately
and correctly implemented).

> Subject: Re: ComboBox Selection (was: combo box)
> From: archemedia@mac.com
> Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:51:13 +0200
> To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> The behavior solution would be an acceptable solution. Whether the functionality should
be implemented in the base component or higher up is up to the contributors with their level
of expertise but the use case of setting a combobox' selected item by an arbitrary value id
is very common one I believe, so I'm very much in favour of making it possible.

> -Dany
>

> Op 10-apr.-2012, om 21:28 heeft Michael A. Labriola het volgende geschreven:
>
> >> I think you are referring to the decorator pattern. It has pros and cons, as
do all architectural decisions. Personally I am more interested in the what/result, not so
much in the how/way. But it takes all sorts, right?

> > Nope. It's not a decorator pattern. Yes this idea does have pros and cons, and you
can reserve the right to be interested in anything you like.