From David Coleman <david_coleman_...@hotmail.com>
Subject combo box
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:23:23 GMT

Hi everyone.  Mike's most recent mail (mentioning that ComboBoxes have changed nearly every
other release) made remember something that i have had sitting around in my personal files
for some time.  It is a tweak to the combo box that allows you to have a blank item as the
first item, allowing you to de-select the selected item and reset the combo to empty.  It
has a configurable value (which defaults to -1) and a configurable label to show in the list
(in case you want it to say "choose a city" or something else more context appropriate).

I'm attaching the file.  Maybe it is something worth considering.  It is a behavior that is
definitely lacking when you compare flex to other form entry UI/UX approaches.  The ability
to "cancel" your selection in a combo box is rather basic and I've always been mildly surprised
that it has never been introduced.

Cheers!
David