From Mick Powell <mick.pow...@veeops.com>
Subject Re: ComboBox Selection (was: combo box)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:59:48 GMT
Hello All,

I haven't spoken yet on this list although I have been receiving mail for a few months. I
have been developing Flex applications for a number of years now (professionally), and I have
found the pattern that Mike suggests to be something I have used time and again. I would argue
that this was the servant pattern : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_%28design_pattern%29
(not a great article) but as Mike says, I can be interested in what I like and I suppose I
can also call things what I like too.

Either way, IMHO this pattern is a great way of separating concerns from the base-class while
providing both extensibility and flexibility, and I think that something like what Mike suggests
would be a great addition to the framework. Reducing bloat has been of a primary concern to
me, and I know it has for many other developers, and this "bolt-on" approach fits into that
rather nicely.

Of course, this is only if I have actually understood what Mike is positing.

All the best,

Mick

On Apr 10, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Michael A. Labriola wrote:

>> I think you are referring to the decorator pattern. It has pros and cons, as do all
architectural decisions. Personally I am more interested in the what/result, not so much in
the how/way. But it takes all sorts, right?

> Nope. It's not a decorator pattern. Yes this idea does have pros and cons, and you can
reserve the right to be interested in anything you like.