From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject ComboBox Selection (was: combo box)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:08:21 GMT
>Is there a possibility to add this feature to ComboBox?

Dany,

It could certainly be added, but I would like you to consider thinking about it a different
way. Rather than adding more heft to the base component, we could add another object that
interacted with the ComboBox to facilitate that selection for you. This could be done a number
of different ways. This is one way I have implemented it and something I want to discuss here.

It is the idea of adding behaviors to items, so, in my approach, I have something like a ComboBox:

<ComboBox dataProvider="blah">
	<behaviors>
		<ValueSelectionBehavior id="vsb" dataProvideValueField="someID" selectedValue="{someThingElse.someValue}/>
	</behaviors>
</ComboBox>

In this way we have just defined an interface for the Behavior classes and a minimal extension
to UIComponent for a property and registration step. However, we have enable people to add
a pay as you go approach to adding behavior to components. It's something that has worked
well for us and, eventually, I would like us to consider here as it has made extending and
adding to Flex without bloating all of the base components much easier.

Mike