From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject [MENTORS] Handling Adobe Binaries
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:36:01 GMT
Hi Mentors,

We discovered yesterday that playerglobal.swc is not under MPL and is still under Adobe license.
 Same for the AIR SDK.

Since these files represent the Flash Platform, I would think they should be defined as “build
tools”.  If you agree, I want to check my understanding of how to handle these binaries.

 1.  We still cannot check these into Apache Flex SVN because we don’t have permission from
Adobe to do so.
 2.  We cannot put them in either a source or binary distribution because we don’t have
permission from Adobe to do so.
 3.  Since these are required files, we cannot download them as part of the build script.
 4.  FlashBuilder currently expects an SDK to be a folder tree contain a set of SWCs some
of which are a result of compiling the Apache Flex code, but one is, for example, playerglobal.swc.
 Can we tell folks to take the source distribution and unzip it into the same folder tree
as playerglobal.swc?  Or does that go into dangerous territory where it would be confusing
to someone as to what the license is for various files after the source distribution is unzipped?
 5.  Are the rules for a convenience binary distribution different?  Could we instruct folks
to unzip the binary into the same folder tree as playerglobal.swc?

Thanks,
--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team