From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Board report, "Apache internals are starting to become a problem" ?
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:36:53 GMT

On 4/5/12 10:05 AM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Please, Apache is a volunteer organization. The secretary is a volunteer. Did
> you give the ASF secretary a heads up that the signature was coming and you
> wanted an expedited approval?
I did not give the secretary advanced warning.  I will in the future.  Being
new to Apache, it isn't clear what turnaround times you can expect.  I got
quick response from the secretary when filing my ICLA.

> How would 1000 separate SVN servers work?

My half-baked thinking (and I don't really understand server-side issues) is
that you would assign a server to flex.apache.org at it would have enough
horsepower to host SVN and JIRA and a web-site.  Infrastructure's job would
be narrowed to backups and maintenance of the servers and answering
questions, but administration would be mostly pushed to the podling.  Carol
practiced the import on her own SVN instance, I practiced the JIRA import on
my own JIRA instance.  We did so in order to be comfortable that what we
sent to Apache would work.  We learned enough to be able to do the imports
ourselves if we could just have access.

Thinking about it more, how are backups managed?  If you have to restore
something can you do it without blowing away changes in another project?  Is
it really a good idea for an SVN server failure to halt every Apache
project?

> I think that you can certainly reword the report to indicate that delays in
> importing the large JIRA database are a concern.
>
> The main scalability is the number of paid Infrastructure consultants. AFAIK
> this is now 3.5 people in addition to numerous volunteers. This is for 100+
> TLPs and over 50 podlings. I don't think that it helps to call into question
> scalability of volunteers. It helps to understand that it will always be an
> issue.
>
> The report should focus on the podling's concerns. The IPMC can then note that
> you need attention that will help.

I really think if Infra could promote Carol and/or I to be volunteers for
our portion of the SVN and JIRA servers, that would be more scalable.  Of
course they won't do that because of the risk given that there are single
instances and a mistake could take down the entire foundation.  That's why I
want the message to be to consider having each podling have its own server.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team