From Alex Harui <>
Subject Re: Board report, "Apache internals are starting to become a problem" ?
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 16:12:10 GMT

On 4/5/12 7:12 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <> wrote:

> I don't think it's fair to blame the secretary or infra for that - a
> few hours delay in recording a code grant is certainly acceptable, and
> infra requiring big svn imports to happen on weekends for minimal
> disruption sounds totally reasonable to me as well.
> Those big svn imports do not happen every day, so it seems ok to have
> to plan them a bit in advance.
> I agree that the overall delays in getting the code in svn are
> frustrating, but secretary/infra is only a minor part in that IMO. And
> in the meantime people can play with the copy that Carol committed
> anyway IIUC.
> My suggestion: tone that down a bit, and remove the secretary bit completely.
My goal isn't to blame any set of individuals, but I think the process is
cumbersome given this is 2012.  If the actual deadline to submit a grant in
order to make a weekend SVN import is Thursday and not Friday, that really
needs to be known to all future podlings.  It is no fun to ask a VP to come
in on his vacation to sign the grant and then have it be for naught.

I also don't get how SVN scales for 10 years down the road with 1000 more
podlings and 1000000 of files.  The maintenance and overhead and maybe
performance of the server might be prohibitive.  Why not assign podlings
their own server and give import rights to a few select folks?

Folks know the code is on the whiteboard, but there is a tendency to wait
until it gets into the trunk.  We want to try to start building and
packaging a release from the trunk and now we are waiting another week.

I'll think about how to re-word this section, but I still think there is a
scalability problem that is impeding us.  The podling doesn't have enough
autonomy around its own databases.

>> ...The same holds true for the bug database as well.  We have been waiting
>> for the bug database since Feb 1.  A gating concern is that our import
>> of 30000 bugs might take down the main JIRA instance.  Having distributed
>> JIRA instances would scale better...
> Here I agree that INFRA-4380 seems to be stalled. At some point IIRC
> we discussed the alternative of importing issues via jira's RESTful or
> other API, throttling to avoid putting too much load on the instance.
> Has that been pursued?
Infra refuses to let us try to import this many issues, even throttled.
Again, another example of the scalability issue.  If we had our own JIRA
instance, we could try things without taking down everybody else.  I don't
know how many issues are in the rest of Apache JIRA, but we're about to jam
in 30000 issues.

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.