From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Board report, "Apache internals are starting to become a problem" ?
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:46:18 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> I did not give the secretary advanced warning.  I will in the future.  Being
> new to Apache, it isn't clear what turnaround times you can expect.  I got
> quick response from the secretary when filing my ICLA.

Yep, it's a learning process. When I filed my ICLA several years ago
it took about a month to get my account. So they are constantly
improving things.

> My half-baked thinking (and I don't really understand server-side issues) is
> that you would assign a server to flex.apache.org at it would have enough
> horsepower to host SVN and JIRA and a web-site.  Infrastructure's job would
> be narrowed to backups and maintenance of the servers and answering
> questions, but administration would be mostly pushed to the podling.

The problem with that approach is that source control and issue
tracking are probably Apache's 2 most critical services. So there's an
SLA associated with them (probably not an official SLA, but an
expected one). Infra must be able to respond when svn or Jira goes
belly up - or when a critical security issue pops up like happened a
couple years ago. They also need to know the services are built and
managed using best practices, etc. Imagine if each of the 150 or so
projects had its own Jira. When a critical security bug comes up 150
Jiras need to be patched ASAP.

I'm frustrated with the lag as well. I do think maybe we need to
consider our options for moving forward despite the lag.

Greg