From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC - additional registerClassAlias
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 00:39:07 GMT
Serialization has always been a troublesome topic... I'm wondering if
we shouldn't be looking more at JSON now that it's baked into Flash
Player. Going that direction may make Flex more valuable with RESTful
services. Maybe.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is - what is vector
serialization good for and where would it be used? How much juice are
we going to get for the squeeze?

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
>> Okay, now that we almost have a VectorCollection, we have a bridge to cross... Serialization
or actually Deserialization.

> Perhaps a way to get around this is instead of serialising the vector  is to serialise
an array representing the vector.

> Something like so (not tested so not 100% sure if it will work).
>    public function readExternal(input:IDataInput):void
>    {
>        source = new Vector.<*>(input.readObject());
>    }
>
>    public function writeExternal(output:IDataOutput):void
>    {
>        output.writeObject(toArray());
>    }
>
> I seem to recall running into the same issue with ArrayCollection a while back. I'll
see if I can dig up the code and remember what the exact issue was.