From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: flex breakdown
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:12:31 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Left Right <olegsivokon@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This is all conjecture, unless you have personally polled every single
> Flex
> > and AS3 developer in the world these statements shouldn't be used to try
> > and justify decisions. Unless you can back them up with hard data it just
> > makes it sound like you are trying really hard to convince someone of
> > something that may or may not be true.
>

> These aren't exactly assumptions. I didn't poll personally, but
> FlashDevelop developers had organized a poll, which was active for more
> then two years now on inclusion of Flex SDK with the FlashDevelop. You can
> see the results here:
> http://flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4560
> As you can see, about the half of the voters would rather not include the
> SDK with their favorite editor. If you read the responses, you will see
> that the major problem was the size of the download.
>
> I can actually post polls to few popular user boards / user groups - should
> I, if that is really of an interest, I'll do! But being an active user of
> many such boards, I can quite predict the results. There will be a lot of
> users who don't need that stuff from SDK. A lot means at leas hundreds of
> votes (as per forum traffic, that would be a very significant number).
>
> On the same note, if we are going to run few polls - do you have any wishes
> about the wording of the question?
>
> Best.
>
> Oleg

And does anyone know what percentage of developers use FlashDevelop? I, for
one, have never even seen their home page, let alone used or downloaded it.
Nor do I believe that any polls on any such boards that you didn't mention
really matter either. All of these boards will have only a percentage of
Flex and AS3 users, a percentage that is impossible for anyone to
determine. I imagine this is why the Apache saying exists: "If it didn't
happen in the mailing list, it didn't happen.".

-omar