From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: flex breakdown
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:32:59 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Left Right <olegsivokon@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And does anyone know what percentage of developers use FlashDevelop? I,
> for
> > one, have never even seen their home page, let alone used or downloaded
> it.
> > Nor do I believe that any polls on any such boards that you didn't
> mention
> > really matter either. All of these boards will have only a percentage of
> > Flex and AS3 users, a percentage that is impossible for anyone to
> > determine. I imagine this is why the Apache saying exists: "If it didn't
> > happen in the mailing list, it didn't happen.".
> >
> > -omar
> >

> I'm sorry, but there isn't a better way - you would need to select a group
> of users and poll them. If you have a better idea of how to poll all users

- I'm all ears.

Yes there is a better way, for this project really the only way, and that
is to ask questions on the mailing list and see how this community feels
about a certain question or issue.

>  If you never heard of a single oldest open-source editor
> for AS3, I am rather surprised about why are you putting this forward as an
> advantage, or something you would want to show off... and how this makes
> the poll less credible.

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I did not say I have never heard
of FlashDevelop, I _did_ say that I have never downloaded it or visited
their homepage because I do not care for this editor because a.) I'm on Mac
and b.) I use IntelliJ.

> Again, I didn't say that either sources or other parts of the SDK are
> useless, what I say is that people don't use them quite often. Some - never
> use them. This is a common sense, that if a feature is not mandatory - make
> it explicitly optional... It doesn't matter how good uses you can find for
> the things in the SDK. The goal _is not_ to provide users with as much
> stuff as you can. The purpose is to give them what they really need and be
> flexible about giving per request.
>
> Best.
>
> Oleg

I understand your point, and I agree with some of it and I agree with the
points Doug McCune made. All I am saying is  let's not use assumptions and
conjecture, instead let's use this mailing list for what it is intended
for, and that is to communicate with the community and formulate consensus
about issues regarding this project. Polls are inaccurate, incomplete,
unsecure (there are ways to vote multiple times on any poll), and again,
polling should be done on the mailing list because "if it doesn't happen on