From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: flex breakdown
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:58:20 GMT
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Left Right <olegsivokon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Omar, you are confusing the target users with the developers. You can't
> poll the developers about what do they think the users of their software
> think. I mean, ok, you can, but what's the point if you can ask the users
> firsthand?

Well first off, any polls that have been already done on other sites are
based on Adobe Flex. We now have the ability to change things sans Adobe,
so opinions on the Adobe SDK and how it was run in the past are no longer
valid.

Second, we do not yet have any Apache Flex releases, so polling users of
our SDK, and how we decide to deploy our SDK, are solely based on precedent
set by Adobe. I will go out on a limb here and say we will most likely be
changing or adding to many of the aspects of the project that we couldn't
in the passed. Some people have suggested adding Gradle support, Maven,
etc, these are all things that are possible now being discussed on this
list.

Which leads me to the third thing which is that I am not confusing end
users with SDK developers. However, we do have a flex-users mailing list
that is not yet very busy because we have not released any SDK versions for
that mailing list to comment on.

> I just offered to run more polls. I know the leader of UFUG / RFUG and can
> ask them to host the poll on their site (they, by coincidence, are working
> on yet another AS3 editor, so they may be interested to know that as well).
> Facebook Flash usergroup and so on...
> There's nothing special required to post the poll on as.org /
> kirupa.comand similar - why, if that's such a debatable issue - why
> not do it?

You can run as many polls as you want on other sites. However, I go back to
this Apache saying:

"If it didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen."

This includes, Kirupa, Facebook, Twitter, as.org, etc, etc, etc. So when it
comes time to making decisions the polls done on other sites should not and
will not have any bearing on decisions made by this community in this
mailing list.

> By the way. Some more statistics - as I've been for a few years moderating
> another resource dedicated to AS / Flash / Flex, I can tell that the number
> of overall questions asked that concern Flex is, possibly, 1/10 of all
> questions, but the number of questions that imply that the poster is using
> Flex compiler is, at least, double of that.
> If my own experience is not enough - I can ask as.org moderators about
> that, or kirupians :) You can check that on stackoverflow too.
>
> Best.
>
> Oleg

I am not really interested in looking to try and build consensus by
browsing and searching Kirupa, as.org or StackOverflow. Our community is
here, not there. And that's the last I'll say on this thread.

-omar@apache.org