From Roland Zwaga <rol...@stackandheap.com>
Subject Re: flex breakdown
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:28:07 GMT

> Again, I didn't say that either sources or other parts of the SDK are
> useless, what I say is that people don't use them quite often. Some - never
> use them. This is a common sense, that if a feature is not mandatory - make
> it explicitly optional... It doesn't matter how good uses you can find for
> the things in the SDK. The goal _is not_ to provide users with as much
> stuff as you can. The purpose is to give them what they really need and be
> flexible about giving per request.

While I agree with your point about making a seldom-used feature optional,
it might
also be true that basing the assumption that these features are seldom used
on a poll
that was conducted among FlashDevelop users might skew this assumption
towards
only a certain part of the flash/flex developer community.
What I mean is, it might be true that these features are seldom used
amongst FlashDevelop
users, it might not be representative for users of FDT, IDEA, FlashBuilder,
etc.
I don't claim to know the preferences of these user groups, but they might
be vastly different from
the preferences of the FlashDevelop community.
Having said that, I do feel you have a point about making certain parts of
the SDK optional,
I don't think flexibility is a bad thing, so I think you raise a valid
point that warrants a healthy
discussion :)

cheers,

Roland