From Ariel Jakobovits <arielj...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What does swcdepends do?
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:29:10 GMT
From the doc linked to:

"Compiler API can be added to answer the question of what additional RSLs are needed if a
given RSL is loaded."

Seems like the expectation was that additional compiler args to mxmlc might someday influence
rsl dependencies.

On Apr 9, 2012, at 6:11 AM, Darrell Loverin <dloverin@adobe.com> wrote:

> See the SWC Dependencies section of this spec:
> http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Linking+RSLs+by+Default
>
> There are a couple of blogs articles that discuss swcdepends:
>
> http://gauravj.com/blog/2009/07/finding-swc-dependencies/
> http://blogs.adobe.com/dloverin/2010/01/monkey_patching_the_spark_button.html
>

> The swcdepends tool accepts all the options of mxmlc to make it easy to run without getting
errors that certain command line options are not available. The mxmlc options that don't provide
swcs to the compiler are ignored.

> -Darrell

swcdepends before. There is *some* command line documentation, but no explanation of what
to do with the program, and I can't understand from the options what the program does. Can
anyone provide an insight to this?
> What I saw it do:
> - once you run it w/o arguments it (probably) looks at the SDK path and prints some information
about SWCs found in the SDK, which looks like this:

> /library/examined.swc
>    /library/containing/classes/examined/library/references.swc
>
> I'm absolutely clueless about how it discovers where is the library that contains referenced
classes and what happens if there are two (this is not a setting inside SWC).
> It also has about 30 command line options, which sound strange in the given context,
such as for example:
> -compiler.enable-runtime-design-layers
> or
> -use-direct-blit
> etc...
>
> If I had to make a guess, this utility may be used when generating RSLs for framework
projects - but what does it really do?