From Darrell Loverin <dlove...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: What does swcdepends do?
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2012 13:11:10 GMT
See the SWC Dependencies section of this spec:
http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Linking+RSLs+by+Default

There are a couple of blogs articles that discuss swcdepends:

http://gauravj.com/blog/2009/07/finding-swc-dependencies/
http://blogs.adobe.com/dloverin/2010/01/monkey_patching_the_spark_button.html

The swcdepends tool accepts all the options of mxmlc to make it easy to run without getting
errors that certain command line options are not available. The mxmlc options that don't provide
swcs to the compiler are ignored.

-Darrell

-----Original Message-----
From: Left Right [mailto:olegsivokon@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 4:59 AM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: What does swcdepends do?

Hi,

I'm trying to write some conscious description of utilities inside SDK. I never used swcdepends
before. There is *some* command line documentation, but no explanation of what to do with
the program, and I can't understand from the options what the program does. Can anyone provide
an insight to this?
What I saw it do:
- once you run it w/o arguments it (probably) looks at the SDK path and prints some information
about SWCs found in the SDK, which looks like this:

/library/examined.swc
    /library/containing/classes/examined/library/references.swc

I'm absolutely clueless about how it discovers where is the library that contains referenced
classes and what happens if there are two (this is not a setting inside SWC).
It also has about 30 command line options, which sound strange in the given context, such
as for example:
-compiler.enable-runtime-design-layers
or
-use-direct-blit
etc...

If I had to make a guess, this utility may be used when generating RSLs for framework projects
- but what does it really do?

Best.

Oleg