From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Handling Adobe Binaries
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:19:14 GMT
On 4/26/2012 4:19 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> On 4/26/12 10:30 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com"<olegsivokon@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> But there's published documentation with precise description of what the
>> API do - why copying that would be a reverse engineering? It's like if I
>> wanted to write a driver for NVidia adapter - there's no way I would avoid
>> copying all the same API they have in the hardware, and, eventually it
>> would have all the same interface as the NVidia proprietary drivers. That's
>> not stealing from NVidia (in the case outlined above), it's just creating
>> an alternative, which cannot vary from the original because of what it does.
> I'm not a lawyer, and I've been surprised by how some of this legal stuff
> works.  Above you used the word "copy" which I believe the legal term
> "Copyright" is meant to limit.

  The purpose of Copyright is [and I'll quote Wikiepdia] "to promote the
creation of new works by giving authors control of and profit from them".

  Copyright was intended to encourage authors/artists create new stuff.
"Big Media" lobbying and lawyers are doing their best to change that,
though.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur