From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: [RT] MXMLC tests & future was: MXMLC now in trunk
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 03:26:22 GMT
On 16/04/2012 16:40, Left Right wrote:

>> swfxprinter.java is in the donation and converts ABC code to text.
>> Something like it could be used to do analysis.
>>
>> I believe Martin meant something like a tool that mechanically proves that
> the generated bytecode is not erroneous. For example, if you have a....
Actually the ABC is not enough because bitmaps, fonts etc. have to be
tested too. It is really
about all the Bytecode.  swfxprinter could help making tests more
readable though.
I think it would be reasonable to categorize the tests in:

- API (all the effects of the compiler switches)
- Code Structure (are all the constructs defined in AS3 available in the
swf/output)
- Code Quality (does the bytecode work properly, does it generate code
that results in memory leaks, is it fast, etc.)

Code structure tests are easiest implemented just using a flash player
and "describeType". Some parts of
code quality can be tested using AS3 - but performance has to be tested
with bytecode analysis. The API is best
tested in Java but then again: The API is not really well defined at the
moment.

@Alex No chance to get the unit tests? ;)

yous
Martin.