From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][FLEX-7] package "org.apache.flex"
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:32:48 GMT
Hi,

> Big +1, with my mentor hat on: Apache Flex wouldn't be able to
> complain if someone else releases code under the spark.foo package,
> whereas org.apache.flex.spark.foo clearly belongs to this project.

Currently there nothing to stop anyone from using any name space (existing or new). For instance
monkey patching relies on being able to use existing name spaces/class names.

I'm not 100% sure why we would need to complain if someone released code in an existing namespace.
Can you expand on reasons why we might need to?

Changing the name space would make all current documentation, books, blog posts, article on
the Adobe site, code examples and more importantly existing working projects/code unable to
work with this future version of the Apache SDK without a fair amount of modification.

Thanks,
Justin

PS For those who don't know monkey patching enables you to replace (buggy) classes in the
existing SDK with your own classes (both have the same name space/package/class name). While
it's not without issues (eg use with RSLs) it's quite useful at this point in time.