From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Board report, "Apache internals are starting to become a problem" ?
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:21:56 GMT

On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:12 AM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 4/5/12 7:12 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> I don't think it's fair to blame the secretary or infra for that - a
>> few hours delay in recording a code grant is certainly acceptable, and
>> infra requiring big svn imports to happen on weekends for minimal
>> disruption sounds totally reasonable to me as well.
>>
>> Those big svn imports do not happen every day, so it seems ok to have
>> to plan them a bit in advance.
>>
>> I agree that the overall delays in getting the code in svn are
>> frustrating, but secretary/infra is only a minor part in that IMO. And
>> in the meantime people can play with the copy that Carol committed
>> anyway IIUC.
>>
>> My suggestion: tone that down a bit, and remove the secretary bit completely.
> My goal isn't to blame any set of individuals, but I think the process is
> cumbersome given this is 2012.  If the actual deadline to submit a grant in
> order to make a weekend SVN import is Thursday and not Friday, that really
> needs to be known to all future podlings.  It is no fun to ask a VP to come
> in on his vacation to sign the grant and then have it be for naught.
>
> I also don't get how SVN scales for 10 years down the road with 1000 more
> podlings and 1000000 of files.  The maintenance and overhead and maybe
> performance of the server might be prohibitive.  Why not assign podlings
> their own server and give import rights to a few select folks?
>
> Folks know the code is on the whiteboard, but there is a tendency to wait
> until it gets into the trunk.  We want to try to start building and
> packaging a release from the trunk and now we are waiting another week.
>
> I'll think about how to re-word this section, but I still think there is a
> scalability problem that is impeding us.  The podling doesn't have enough
> autonomy around its own databases.
>

>>> ...The same holds true for the bug database as well.  We have been waiting
>>> for the bug database since Feb 1.  A gating concern is that our import
>>> of 30000 bugs might take down the main JIRA instance.  Having distributed
>>> JIRA instances would scale better...
>>
>> Here I agree that INFRA-4380 seems to be stalled. At some point IIRC
>> we discussed the alternative of importing issues via jira's RESTful or
>> other API, throttling to avoid putting too much load on the instance.
>> Has that been pursued?
> Infra refuses to let us try to import this many issues, even throttled.
> Again, another example of the scalability issue.  If we had our own JIRA
> instance, we could try things without taking down everybody else.  I don't
> know how many issues are in the rest of Apache JIRA, but we're about to jam
> in 30000 issues.

Please recall that part of the trouble is that JIRA is not open source and Apache is waiting
on Atlassian for a bug fix.

Please see the notes from Monday on the issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4380

It is not forgotten. If it is time to discuss alternative approaches with Infrastructure.

Regards,
Dave