From "Skogen, Espen" <espen.sko...@jpmorgan.com>
Subject RE: Memory issue in Flash Player 11.2
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:58:52 GMT
Nope, not running 50 frames a second. A timer can execute twice in one frame.

The actual problem is a trading application where the client is receiving messages from the
server side. At peak loads, the client gets up to 200 messages a second, and subsequently
does a bunch of processing on those quotes. As a side effect, the client generates a large
amount of immutable (unreferenced) objects, and this seems to be compounding the problem in
11.2 - In 10.3, the unreferenced objects gets GC'd pretty regularly.

Espen Skogen | Vice President | IB Tech Market | Investment Bank | J.P. Morgan | 125 London
Wall, EC2Y 5AJ,  London, United Kingdom | T: +442077420836 | espen.skogen@jpmorgan.com | jpmorgan.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Winscot [mailto:rick.winscot@gmail.com]
Sent: 12 April 2012 17:12
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Memory issue in Flash Player 11.2

If your 'slice' is 20 ms... it would appear that you are inferring a frame rate of 50 fps?
Is that correct?

If it is, this seems a bit excessive for a Flex application unless you're doing some serious
animation. Keep in mind that 1000 ms = 1 second = [ frame rate ] x [ ms slice ]... anything
less / more than this will often lead to the perception that something that should be happening
isn't ( e.g. a self-imposed race condition ).

What I'm trying to say is that I would recommend aiming for an 'ideal' test scenario where
a majority would agree that the given example should perform without issues - then proceed
to extremes ( render heavy / script heavy frames ) in order to determine where failures begin
to appear.

Be prepared for questions like, "is it possible that the routine(s) in question weren't performing
optimally before... and that FP changes no longer hide my flabby code-stuffs?"

So... I would think that it would be in Adobe's best interest to share any benchmarking tools
they use internally for Flash Player with this project. More eyes = more fun! Just sayin'

Rick Winscot

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Michael A. Labriola wrote:

> > I did some more testing and found that it seems to be a case of GC
> > never collecting any garbage. I set up an app to create a new object and assign
it to a property every 20 milliseconds. On 10.3 and 11.1 the memory footprint remained steady.
On 11.2, it grew and grew.

> We definitely see it collecting garbage for us, but it is leaking like crazy too and
it certainly uses a lot more memory for the same Flex app. This has huge impact to us as well
so we are also working on it.