From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject mx PostCode validator class
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 03:09:46 GMT
Hi there,

I've created a first pass at an mx style post code validator. It still needs some work. It
can be found in my white board area here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/whiteboard/jmclean/validators/

It supports either a single postcode format or an array of postcode formats. Formats are defined
as strings consisting of N,A,CC,- or space where is N is a number, A is a letter, CC is country
code (optional) and "-" or space for formatting. eg "NNNN" is a 4 digit postcode. "NNNN AA"
is 4 digits, followed by a space followed by 2 letters.

It doesn't validate for ranges of numbers or exact letters. I've considered a way of setting
a call back that calls a user defined function to do this.

Would anyone like to see this added to the SDK at some point in the future?

doValidate is a static method which required the formats array and the country code to stored
in static variables. It may be possible to add an extra optional parameter to doValidate to
get around this. Can anyone think of another way of doing it? The ZipCodeValidator gets around
this by hard coding exact lengths and formats in the code but I don't thank that's viable
for a more generic class like this.

For contribution like this what should the namespace be? mx.validators or org.apache.flex.mx.validators
or something else?

Any interest in a similar spark version?

Anyone want to help out by reviewing the code, writing more unit test (a set of test for UK
style postcodes would be useful) or any other way please do so.

Thanks,
Justin