From Tink <f...@tink.ws >
Subject Re: Why Spark? (was Re: s:Spacer (was Re: Missing Spark components))
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:49:07 GMT

On 1 Mar 2012, at 23:12, Omar Gonzalez wrote:

>> Maybe, I am completely off base here, but exactly what is the
>> motivation of
>> the spark component set?  Is it the new skinning paradigm, or is it
>> better
>> performing versions of existing components or is it a completely
>> different
>> set of components that happen to have similar names?  If this is a
>> separate
>> conversation, please reply in a new thread.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Om

One of the re-occurring discussions on this list has been the desire
to break down components into smaller parts.

The spark architecture goes some way to achieving this. Take
scrolling, if you want it you wrap you group on a Scroller and off you
go. Same for layouts. In this way spark is far more flexible and
superior to mx along with its skinning model.

Spark is about writing smaller parts that can be put together to make
a whole, instead of each component having all the functionality for
every scenario baked in.

Tink