From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Flex timeline page added to the website, feedback welcome
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:31:34 GMT

On 3/29/12 7:03 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:

> 1.  Apache projects only release SOURCE.  Binary packages are for
> convenience and are not approved by Apache.
>     You are not suppose to have dependent jars, and for us, swcs, checked
> into svn, even if they have appropriate licenses.
I don't think Roy said that. He believe he said it can't be in the source
tree and that there can be a folder of binaries in a sibling tree.

>     I think that means a source kit by itself is not enough to build Flex
> although
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-sou
> rce-build
>     in the Dependencies section implies you can include them in the
> package even though Roy and others are quite adamant that they can not go
> in the source package.
My understanding is that the "release" is a zip or tarball that cannot
contain compiled source.  I'm sure it can contain a JPG which is technically
a binary.  The release must also contain a build script that will generate
something usable, in our case, the SWCs and JARs for the framework and
compilers.  That build script must pull down external dependencies which can
be additional source or binaries assuming they have the appropriate license.
The build script can be smart and check to see if you have the dependencies
from the folder of binaries in a sibling tree so you don't have to hit a
bunch of external servers, and the build script should warn you before you
pull down anything that doesn't have an Apache license.  My understanding of
that last requirement is that we owe it to the person working with the
release to warn them that stuff on their system may not be under Apache
license so the rules for working with that stuff might be different.

>     Somewhere in the Apache docs I read, but can't find at the moment,
> builds can prompt to ask permission to download optional third-party
> dependencies.
>     Is the prompt always necessary or only in some cases?
So, based one the above, the prompt is necessary before we download
playerglobal.swc.

>     What about dependencies on other Apache projects?  Do we have to
> include the source in our project since we can't include the jar or do we
> download the jar
>     as part of the build?
We would download the JAR, IIUC.

--