From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: While we're waiting for Mustella
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:11:02 GMT

On 3/28/12 10:55 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> ComponentSmoke is obsolete.
> Sure when Mustella gets donated.
No, it is obsolete now, as in, none of the Flex developers used it to check
the work for the past several years.

>> MXUnit will probably not get donated.
> We can probably use FlexUnit in it place I think. (Not that I've tried.)
>
>>  Mustella is supposed to replace it. Please do not proliferate any tests
>> using MXUnit.
>
> Currently we don't have any easy way to test the framework. Some form of
> testing would help I think.
I am advising against using something (MXUnit) that is undocumented and
unsupported.

>>  but the patterns in BasicTests are not what you will see in the rest of the
>> mustella tests.
>
> I assume the Mustella donation is likely to be several months away at this
> point?
I hope not.

> If we originally knew it would take this long to get Mustella donated
> we probably would of come up with a way of testing some other way of the
> framework by now.
I doubt in these three months we could have replaced the entire mustella
suite.

> Having some way of testing the framework (even if that is an "obsolete" way)
> is essential so that we can test patches etc. The testing framework in the
> Open Source SDK seems to fill that need right at this moment. Sure it's not
> perfect and new tests would probably need to be discarded/converted when
> Mustella is donated but is that such a big issue? In it's current form it can
> give some confidence that changes won't break the framework (especially in
> conjunction with flex unit test). That seems rather useful to me.
I think you may be confused.  The Adobe Flex Open Source SDK does not
contain this code.  You found it in a zip in the BlazeDS repository.  I'm
not sure that zip should be there or contain what it does.  In fact, today I
will be examining that file to see if we have to remove or change it instead
of working on other issues.

> I'm certainly open to any other suggestions you have on how to test the
> framework.
Wait for mustella before making significant changes to the framework.  You
can add new locales and new components all you want until then.  If you are
needing to change framework classes to do so, then that is another issue.

> Would it be possible to provide some Mustella documentation or test "samples"
> before the full donation so we know what to expect? Only if it doesn't cause
> any delays to the donation process of course.
As Labriola suggested a few weeks back, I am trying to get some core
mustella pieces donated sooner.  An additional resource in Adobe is getting
up to speed so he can help us clean up the tests and submit them.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team