From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:20:17 GMT

On 3/28/12 5:31 AM, "olegsivokon@gmail.com" <olegsivokon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes Martin, I understood the legal problem. I was just wondering what is
> particular about the code that it cannot be replaced by other (modified)
> font managers. As you probably know, there are 4 managers currently in SDK
> which can encode fonts using somewhat different techniques, but only one
> can encode them in a way they fit for the use with the FTE classes. This
> is, I assume, the one Alex is talking about. So my question was rather:
>
> what if we take on of the existing managers and modify it so it will
> generate DefineFont4 tags - how much of an effort will it require? Or maybe
> the technology itself is patented (I doubt this very much... but you never
> know)?

I'm still trying to make sure I understand both the technical and legal
issues.  I see specs for CFF and DefineFont4, but there are rumors that the
conversion is currently done via proprietary algorithms.  If we (Apache
Flex) just write our own, there may be a quality issue.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team