From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Here Comes MXMLC!
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:04:34 GMT
Today we finally got the last blocking legal issue resolved and are now hunting down executives
to sign the appropriate documents to submit the source code for MXMLC to Apache.  The final
signature has to come from a VP who is on vacation this week, but we are going to try to get
him to sign from where ever he is.  Yes, there is still some chance of a glitch in the approvals,
but it is low probability.

Then, of course, we have to get Apache Infra to do an SVN load of the code with history.
But Carol will probably check in code w/o history into her whiteboard.

There are some things related to this donation that you should be aware of:

1) We were unable to get clearance for any compiler tests.  They were too infested with stuff
with incompatible licenses.  So, those interested might want to plan out how to verify compiler
changes going forward.

2) CFF Font Embedding is not being donated.  The source code is not under control of the Flex
team at Adobe.  This means that you won’t be able to compile
    @font-face(“somefile.ttf”); embedAsCFF:true
For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.  You can also use the fontswf
utility or Adobe CS products to make a SWF with a CFF font in it and embed from there.  We
will try to figure out a better solution later.  We decided not to delay the compiler donation
for this issue.

3) We are also watching a discussion on the general@i.a.o list about binary dependencies that
will affect the MXMLC –services option.  We will eventually have the code for that when
BlazeDS gets donated, but for now, we were going to check in the jar file.  We may need to
write the equivalent code for this capability as well until BlazeDS gets in.

Once the code is loaded into SVN, Carol will try to execute the steps of making an Apache
release.  I expect it will take several attempts.  And we would like someone else to also
try to be a “release manager” as Carol will be unavailable during the week leading up
to 360Flex.  But once we think we have it figured out, I think we can open all of the donated
source for changes, especially for the compiler if there are folks writing tests for it.
Meanwhile I will be working on getting Mustella donated.  I am trying to find a clever way
to get a minimum amount of it donated by 360Flex.  No promises though.

So, please try to reserve some time to participate in the release process, and if interested,
in creating a compiler test suite.

Thanks for your patience.

--
Alex Harui