From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: minor Validator improvement
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:51:04 GMT

On 3/26/12 8:46 AM, "Omar Gonzalez" <omarg.developer@gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like a good idea, my only concern is breaking a bunch of apps
> that are expecting Validator.validateAll() to return a plain Array. I know
> there are some methods that were added, instead of changed, to return
> Vectors as opposed to Arrays and not break existing apps. I can't think of
> the method name I'm remembering, but I think its one of the display objects
> that changed. Anyhow, not sure what our approach should be for these kind
> of changes.
Adobe didn't care if we broke an app if it was for the "greater good".  And
we didn't convert Arrays to Vectors everywhere.  So I don't think there can
be a universal policy.  It has to be considered for each case because there
are trade-offs.  If the array is passed across a MarshallPlan boundary, then
I wouldn't change it.  If the array is likely to be passed back to the
server, then I wouldn't change it as it might screw up AMF serialization.
If the array is a vector of "anything" then I would be cautious.

BTW, I don't think it was necessary to fill out a JIRA issue.  We're
supposed to be watching commit emails and Jeff starting this discussion
should be good enough.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team