From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Unit tests
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:46:26 GMT

On 3/13/12 9:40 AM, "Michael A. Labriola" <labriola@digitalprimates.net>
wrote:

>> Adobe probably won't go after folks who have legal copies of mustella.swc and
>> guess how it works and write and
> run tests on their computers, but I don't mustella.swc can get checked into
> Apache without Adobe's approval.
>
> Okay, so if I post a decompiled version of the SWC on github with commentary?
> That was a little sarcastic, just not sure how to proceed.

Well, sarcastic or not, it is a good question.

Here's my latest thinking:  There are several pieces to mustella.

1) A SWC of test steps that are tags in MXML used to define the script.
2) A Java engine that runs tests based on command line input
3) An http server that captures output from the tests
4) A ton of test scripts

The checkintests in the full Adobe SDK only include #1 and a few tests.  The
don't use any bitmap compares because you need #3 to save away the baseline
you are going to compare against.

My current thinking is that I need to legally clear and donate all four in
one big chunk so that:
A) I only have to bug legal once
B) I only have to bug the execs who have to sign off on this stuff once
C) It is clear what tests have been written so folks don't go duplicating
work
D) It is easier to run a subset of tests via the command line

I'm open to arguments that say I should try to get #1 done sooner at the
expense of delaying #2, #3 and #4.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team