From Charles Monteiro <char...@nycsmalltalk.org>
Subject the gui designer issue: Balsamiq + Napkee
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:09:26 GMT
hi, I just made a decision NOT to purchase the Flash Builder IDE, for one
their license is tied to the computer and not to the user and I need to be
able to both work on Flex on my Win notebook and Mac Mini. Anyhow, in
giving up Flash Builder I have given up on the following elements that are
crucial for my workflow:

   1. GUI Designer (important)
   2. FlexUnit testing framework (sort of important I"m checking FlexMonkey
   but I would like unit testing for AS3)
   3. HttpMonitor

after much research and stress I think I have found something that gets me
pretty far on the GUI design front and that's the combo of using the
Balsamiq Mockup product and Napkee , something which integrates with
Balsamiq to generate Flex 3 MXML. Flex 4 MXML output will be I'm told by
the company available  this summer. That along with the fact that JetBrains
has a "visual editor" for MXML I think will cover me pretty well.

Just wondered what you all that have been around in the Flex universe think
about said approach. Is this approach helpful to others ? Or who has been
down that path who can shed light on the approach ?

I have not found a testing framework for AS3 that has a visual test runner
available i.e. like what's there in Flash Builder but maybe I have just
missed it ?

I"m basically using Flex as my front end to both Ruby / Python JSON based
http services . Its a very nice to have something that allows me to quickly
visualize response/ request and formatted data payloads. Flash Builder did
a good job. I found a couple alternatives , notably Charles Http debugger
proxy. My only problem here is that again I want to use a cross platform
tool that has a license tied to the individual and not to the computer i.e.
save me the extra 50 bucks of paying for another license so that I can run
on my Mac Mini.

Any suggestions here ?

thanks al, hope its an appropriate enough question for this list.

--
Charles